Livelihoods Specialist - Tanzania DOL Child Labor Project
CHF International’s mission is to be a catalyst for long-lasting positive change in low- and moderate-income communities around the world, helping them to improve their social, economic and environmental conditions.
CHF is seeking a Livelihoods Specialist for a proposed 4-year, $10 million Department of Labor-funded project to combat child labor in Tanzania. This project will reduce child labor in Tanzania through an area-based approach in geographic areas where there is a prevalence of child labor in agriculture production and domestic service. It will work with local entities and build on existing efforts to reduce the worst forms of child labor, including programs to protect orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), increase access to education and promote economic opportunities for Tanzanian households most vulnerable to the worst forms of child labor.
The Livelihoods Specialist is responsible for leading the development of sustainable livelihoods interventions for households of target children. Activities will include assessment of the most significant obstacles that keep households of working children or children at risk of child labor from achieving sustainable livelihoods without depending on child labor; strategies that address identified obstacles and provide livelihoods services to households according to their needs; strategies to link beneficiaries to existing livelihoods services or programs and assistance to beneficiaries to ensure they obtain services for which they are eligible; and strategies for actively promoting and securing the commitment and ownership of government and other local stakeholders for proposed livelihoods services in order to enhance the likelihood that effective services or models will continue beyond the life of the project.
- 3+ years of international development project experience in a leadership position responsible for developing livelihoods interventions and the technical aspects related to proposed strategy, including skills training, micro-lending, micro-savings, employment generation, youth employment and social protection
- Significant experience in projects promoting livelihoods interventions
- Understanding of child labor issues, including youth employment
- Experience working successfully with government agencies and private organizations engaged in promoting improved livelihoods for households and the provision of social protection services
- Experience working with employers’ organizations, trade unions or other civil society organizations
- Experience in Tanzania and/or East Africa
- Fluency in written and spoken English required
- Second language experience preferred; knowledge of local languages preferred but not required