Economic Development Specialist – Anticipated Kosovo Program for Non-Majority Communities Project
Global Communities, formerly CHF International, is an international non-profit organization that works closely with communities worldwide to bring about sustainable changes that improve the lives and livelihoods of the vulnerable.
Global Communities is seeking a highly skilled and experienced Economic Development Specialist to lead economic development components in an anticipated USAID-funded Non-Majority Communities Project in Kosovo. The project has been designed to foster non-majority communities’ participation in Kosovo’s institutions and society. The objectives of this project are to:
- Create tangible and sustainable avenues for constructive partnership between: (a) non-majority and majority communities; and (b) the Government of Kosovo (GoK) and non-majority communities, to enable long-term inter-ethnic interaction and ensure that the key needs of non-majority communities are met
- Improve economic opportunities in targeted municipalities
- Increase the efficiency and capacity of targeted municipal administrations to respond to the needs of all their citizens
The Economic Development Specialist will be responsible for managing project efforts to increase economic opportunities for non-majority communities in target municipalities. The Economic Development Specialist will spearhead all activities related to this goal, including: providing technical and tangible support to business to expand their production and increase job opportunities; exploring and implementing avenues for expanding the market and increasing the sales of non-majority-owned business; promoting loan and business development services to small and medium sized enterprises; conducting “value chain events” to link producers to marketers; support youth employability, including female youth; supporting women-owned enterprises to increase female employment and productivity; supporting local private-sector-led advocacy and initiatives that focus on creating short- or medium-term economic employment opportunities in sectors that have a visible impact on the vast majority of the community; increasing the sustainability of returnees by supporting income generating activities for returnees and members of displaced communities; providing technical support to a parallel local entity that will administer grants for local community initiatives; and partnering with business organizations to devise and implement innovative avenues for expanding market base of non-majority businesses.
- Advanced degree in Economics of related field.
- 7-10 years of international development programming experience with a focus on economic development, including significant technical experience related to project activities.
- Previous experience with US government-funded projects preferred; USAID experience especially valued.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with partners and stakeholders.
- Previous experience in Kosovo and strong understanding of the local economic, political, and social environment.
- Knowledge of EU standards and requirements a plus.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Serbian required; knowledge of Albanian preferred.